Monday, July 16, 2012

patches

If you follow on instagram, this is old news.

If not, this might be new news... but why aren't you on instagram yet? F'reals.

Since birth, EZ's eyes have sort of wandered. Mostly his left one, but sometimes both. It would only happen on occasion, usually when he was tired, stressed, or sick, but it never went away.  The technical term is "exotropic strabismus" and it was confirmed last week that he does, in fact, have this occurring with both of his eyes. He also may be near-sighted, but they won't be able to tell just yet until they strengthen the eye muscles. (maybe baby glasses!? oh man, be still my heart.) So for (at least) the next 3 months, EZ will wear a patch for an hour a day, alternating eyes each day.

This is an example of how his eyes sort of wander out (hence the "exotropia") while he is zoning out and tired (because he has his bink... it's a dead give-a-way with that thing.)

And in true Matt & Carla fashion, we are making the patch into a dress-up joke. I love jokes. I love dress-up. This patch thing will be no trouble at all. (And should help drastically from all of the advice I've heard!)



 Ha. I like this kid. And Matt has plenty of other eyes... so he's not always wearing his angry one.

*also take note that he's learned how to transport things with his mouth while he crawls & that he is standing up all the time now (and climbs up the stairs too!) so awesome.

10 comments:

  1. EZ and I have strabismus in common. *fist bump*
    My eye patches weren't nearly as cool as his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fist bump & nose touch*
      (his newest trick is to touch noses, and since you share this strabismus in common, he felt comfortable enough showing off.)

      we like you, gretchen.

      Delete
  2. aww lil' ez in bebe spectacles!!! but those patches will definitely make him the coolest kid on the block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE AND IPHONE OKAAAAAAAAAAAAY?!

    Way to go little EZ (I cannot wait for EZ to be in glasses, cannot wait.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have strabismus, but mine is intermittent and one of my eyes goes in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, apparently it's way common. ez is glad to have this connection with you (and maybe your future baby? which we are all stoked about over here!)

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you noticed/are getting help early! Only you could take this with a smile and I a joke. Pretty sure I would be freaking out. Good thing he looks awesome with a patch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha to Kate Line's comment.. amen sister!

    And I love that patched pirate EZ. He could wear a paper bag and he'd be cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys kill me, I just love this!

    P.S. I'm going to be in Utah in a few weeks, and would LOVE to see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let's hang out!!!!

      there is much to discuss and i neeeeeed to squeeze your baby. let me know when is best for you and i'll gather ash and rac and we'll make a date out of it!

      Delete