Thursday, April 7, 2011

cahoots

This is Rac when she was a pirate.

She doesn't always dress this way, but on occassion she really knows how to rock the ARRRGh. And her pirate booty.

One time, when she was 15 and I was 16, we drove my gray kick-Astro van to Vegas without telling our parents to visit a boy. I think it was less about the boy and more about the adventure, but at least we had a couch to sleep on (at his parent's house... since you know, we were only 15 & 16.)  On our way home, we ran out of gasoline in the small corner of Arizona right before you reach St George. Thankfully, a nice old grandpa picked us up and helped us with a gas can instead of the scary trucker dude that also stopped for us. When we had safely made it to St George, we went to eat at Cafe Rio and paid with a huge tub of change because we were so broke by this point. Also, the AC didn't work and it was soooo hot.

My mom said she knew about it, but I doubt she did at the time. My dad, as far as I know, didn't have a clue, and her parent's didn't even suspect we had gone anywhere.

Oh the clueless abandon in which teenagers live their lives.

We're in cahoots again, but this time it has nothing to do with Vegas or boys, but furniture instead. I like scheming over dreams and hobbies and life with Rac.  She's a good schemer.

And she's eaten dinner with me at least once a week since Matt's been away, and it's been superb.

1 comment:

  1. Oh girl... this story was ripped right out of the pages of my teens. The only difference was we went to vegas at sixteen, stole my friends parents astro van to go to a concert, and ran out of gas in bloomington. We had to call her dad, and explain. We were all grounded for weeks.

    ReplyDelete