Wednesday, March 16, 2011

i loved that red sweatshirt.


In high school I went through a typical "phase." I died my hair dark (then multiple other colors, such as really red, blue, and purple), I started wearing more black & went to see bands play, and my dad at one point questioned me about drug use (haha... nope!)  I'd always been such a straight arrow that it was kind of nice to be questioned like a rebel.

It was Matt's least favorite time of our HS relationship, that much I know for sure. He did at one point have a mullet and quite the belt buckle collection though :)

Not sure why I thought of this tonight. Probably because I took myself on a date to Provo a couple weekend's ago, and while I was getting take-out dumplings from Rooster, I passed a crowd of hipsters waiting to go into a live show. I had a hard time feeling like I'd fit in now (especially since it was like 9 and I was exhausted... and I'm knocked up... and I don't listen to cool music very often.)  But at least I knew that at one point in my life, I would have totally fit in. I mean, did you see the black choker necklace? I wore that sucker like I'd lose my head if it came off. (green ribbon story anyone?)

5 comments:

  1. Can I make a correction, or maybe just an insert? "At one point matt had a mullet" (for one day)....

    a Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is awesome. i didn't know you two were h.s. loves.

    i feel super old when i go to shows now, but thankfully the crowds in portland are older (or maybe we just like "older" music now.) i love rockin out to someone that's at least sixty besides me. i always make a promise to myself to try and be that "couple" that see shows at that age too. we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness i love this so much. you are so hard core. i totally dyed my hair black, cut it short and super messy and put a big chunk of pink in my bangs (then orange, then red) i'd go to shows every weekend and i thought i was the crap. THE crap.

    the bottom photo made me laugh so hard. landon still has his belt buckles. he doesn't wear them but he can't let them go. and i did pigtails like that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha the choker necklace is killing me!

    high school sweeties!

    james and i have only KNOWN eachother for four years! married three! my parents were elementary sweethearts. 2nd and 3rd grade. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha GREEN RIBBON STORY! that just made my day!

    ReplyDelete