Sunday, December 12, 2010

choosing happy

I put my brave face on until 5:10 pm on Friday. It was one helluva week, and driving in the rain on the way home my windshield wipers and eyelashes were both working overtime to keep the water away. I was literally exhausted physically, mentally, and emotionally. I allowed myself 15 minutes to really wallow in my emotions, then reluctantly got up. And no need to feel bad for me, everyone has weeks like this. It's just part of this whole being human thing.

So I baked cookies for a holiday party, went on a long walk with Guido, saw my dad and got a big {needed} hug, and then went to the previously mentioned holiday party thrown by Matt's buddies. I had to force myself to socialize and leave my house, but I'm glad I did. They always give tight hugs when I see them.  And I snuggled a sweet baby. Nuttin' sweeter than that.

Then I checked my mailbox and I got my copy of Real Simple with this on the cover...

be happier.
The quote on page 4 says "Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling." -Margaret Lee Runbeck

Then I proceeded to read the whole article about the history of happiness, the science of happiness, and the psychology of happiness. It's really nothing new, but it was a very good reminder that happiness is a choice.  "Happiness comes in small moments while you're pursuing the big stuff." I'd recommend reading it if you have the chance. Also, it makes a Harry Potter reference, so you know it's gotta be good. Hello!

Anyway, I hope I always choose happy. 

3 comments:

  1. You and I are on the same wave length my dear. I was just thinking that it doesn't matter where I live, or what I'm doing, I ultimately have to choose to make myself happy or not.

    Hope this week us better for both of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have a happy face when I see you! That what I love most about you. It reminds me of Sierra Mist. No, Sierra Nevadas. Burnt Sienna. Sienna Miller! Love you sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am a little bit behind on the deciding to be happy. nothing this christmas has gone my way and the future plans that our families have made are redonk, so i'm still in the pouting phase. but i planned i was going to buck up on the plane to florida (it's been below freezing there lately- some more christmas disappointment) so i have two more days to pout. i know, i'm a brat. feel sorry for james :) well- i guess don't feel that sorry. he's working like 24/7 the next two days, so he won't be around oscar.

    ReplyDelete