Sunday, August 2, 2009

little dresses for africa

Some dear women in my life came over yesterday and we made pillow case dresses , and I just have to say it was absolutely delightful. We made around 24 dresses in that short time, and each one is individual and unique {and very pretty!}
My MIL Carole, mother DaNell, Melissa, Rachel
Ashlee, Melina, me.

My mother DaNell, along with my MIL Carole and my sister Melina took charge on the sewing machines, while Ash, Rach, Melissa, and I worked with the hand made details and cute designs. We had worked out quite a system by the end, and I am so thankful for these ladies. I will be shipping the dresses to Little Dresses for Africa this week, and know that our little contribution will make a world of difference to some cute little girls.


These are 2 of my favorite quotes from our church's beloved Prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley.

"Generally speaking, the most miserable people I know are those who are obsessed with themselves; the happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others...By and large, I have come to see that if we complain about life, it is because we are thinking only of ourselves."

"The best antidote I know for worry is work. The best cure for weariness is the challenge of helping someone who is even more tired. One of the great ironies of life is this: He or she who serves almost always benefits more than he or she who is served."

Gordon B. Hinckley

I love these quotes. Since we've had the stress of buying a house, then working and re-vamping our house, and basically doing all things house-related, I have felt so blessed that Matt and I have been able to purchase our own home, and all the years we'll spend living in it and raising our own family. And although I've felt immensely grateful for all of the things we have, I have also felt totally self-involved and a little selfish because all of my energy has been going to our stuff, with little thought to anyone else. This little project was a kick-in-the-butt to get my service juices flowing again.

Our friend John (who did our wedding video that i love and cherish) has a brother that is going to Cambodia this week with his wife. He is going to visit the country and the people, but is also working on buying rice, beans, and clothes for over 400 kids living near or in a landfill. The money that is donated will be directly used for this cause, and will be hand delivered by James & Joanna. If anyone would like to donate, here is a link to their blog with information and a "donate" button. They are leaving this week, so there isn't much time, but I know any little bit will help. I am so thankful for service opportunities in my life. I had forgotten how wonderful it feels to try to make a difference in someone else's life, and I only pray that I can do it more often.

Huge thanks again for the lovely ladies that came yesterday, you made the entire day so much brighter. Love you.

10 comments:

  1. So cute! I've wanted to make one of these for a long time. Did you get the pattern off the internet? Do you have a link? Actually they look super easy, you prob. don't even need one. I'll have to look closer. And I think Heather Bailey's blog might have one. Oh, and great home, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved those quotes from Gordan B. Hinkley. I miss him so much ...but then realize how blessed we are to have Thomas S. Monson!
    and by the way, your blog wants me to get married...haha, and i'm only 20!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! ya'll did such a good job... these dresses are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome!

    Those dresses are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so awesome!
    My twin brother is currently serving an LDS mission in Africa. He loves it out there but is always telling us about the poverty and how little clothing the kids/orphans have. this will help so much. :]
    You guys are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dressed turned out so well, nice job! The African's will appreciate them. I'm going to Tanzania in September, I should do something cool like this to take over with me. Or, you can make more and I'll take them. :) Jk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, thanks for passing that info about my brother on! It's kind of a belated thank you, but I haven't been checking blogs lately-
    I've been kind of busy...wedding videos and all during the summer.
    I haven't heard back how it's been going over there for him. I will let you know.
    Cute little dressed though too!
    Thanks for the post- I enjoyed reading the quotes. It's nice to hear that now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this blog post. this really makes me want to something like that too. Is there a pattern for these dresses? I want to have some friends over and make dresses for africa too! I love the quotes from President Hinckley quotes, they are so true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, this is AWESOME! I will be contributing to this cause immediately. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete