Monday, May 11, 2009

Whatif

Last night, while I lay thinking here,
some Whatifs crawled inside my ear
and pranced and partied all night long
and sang their same old Whatif song:
Whatif I'm dumb in school?
Whatif they've closed the swimming pool?
Whatif I get beat up?
Whatif there's poison in my cup?
Whatif I start to cry?
Whatif I get sick and die?
Whatif I flunk that test?
Whatif green hair grows on my chest?
Whatif nobody likes me?
Whatif a bolt of lightning strikes me?
Whatif I don't grow taller?
Whatif my head starts getting smaller?
Whatif the fish won't bite?
Whatif the wind tears up my kite?
Whatif they start a war?
Whatif my parents get divorced?
Whatif the bus is late?
Whatif my teeth don't grow in straight?
Whatif I tear my pants?
Whatif I never learn to dance?
Everything seems well, and then
the nighttime Whatifs strike again!

by Shel Silverstein



I consider Matthew the
master of "what ifs" because
he is constantly asking me questions
beginning with "What if..."
Especially in the car because
we use it as a form of entertainment.

The most recent question:

"What if you could have seen The Beatles or Michael Jackson
perform live in the prime of their performance days.
Which concert would you have attended?"

3 comments:

  1. Oh the Beatles without a shadow of a doubt...

    Somehow, I think boys must do the "What If"s more than us girls (maybe we're too busy analyzing social situations to wander into the abstract as often)... I know my fiancee tends to do the "what if" thing pretty often.

    The other day he said something like "What if you had to wear 'eating clothes' every time you sat down for a meal... like you literally had to change, as in 'just a moment, I've got to go put on my eating clothes'"
    I think he got the idea from a nearby baby with a big on. **laughs**

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Eating clothes"? I think I'd rather wear a bib than change my clothes every time I eat. Boys can be so random... but how can we not love that about them?

    Okay... so interesting that you both responded to The Beatles because Matt and I totally said The Beatles first, but after some discussion - we would go see Michael Jackson. See... The Beatles' music is far superior to MJ (like faaarrr better), but MJ's showmanship and his dance moves are so unique that there will never be anyone exactly like him ever again. And so I think we'd have to go with Michael... but then again, if the situation were real, maybe we'd change our minds again.

    ReplyDelete